Who We AreHistoryOur TeamBoard of DirectorsOur Wildlife CentersRemember
Aquatic Bird RehabilitationMigratory Bird Treaty ActOil Spill Response and PreparednessResearch and Education
Bird Adoptions, Seabird Circle and MoreWorkplace GivingPlanned GivingCorporate and Community PartnersVolunteering & InternshipsEmploymentDonate By Mail
Home  |   Contact  |   Found a Bird?  |   Helping a Debilitated Bird

Helping a Debilitated Bird

Birds in Pet Carriers

When you find a bird there are a few important steps to keep it safe before transporting it.

Please follow these TEMPORARY care instructions:

Note: If you are unsure whether or not the animal needs help, please contact us at the numbers listed below.

Found an aquatic bird? Call and let us know:

International Bird Rescue San Francisco Bay Center
4369 Cordelia Road

Fairfield, California 94534

[P] 707.207.0380 Extension 110
Hours: 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.

International Bird Rescue Los Angeles Center
3601 S. Gaffey Street, Box 3
San Pedro, California 90731
[P] 310.514.2573
Hours: 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.

If calling one of our wildlife centers about a bird and there is no answer,
please leave a message, and someone will return your call as soon as possible.

Need assistance finding a rehabilitation facility or capturing an injured animal?

Please, contact Wildlife Emergency Services.

[P] 866.WILD.911 (California hotline that connects you to a wildlife rescue organization near you)

Found a mammal, reptile, amphibian, raptor, songbird, etc. in California?

Please visit the California Department of Fish and Wildlife - List of Permitted Wildlife Rehabilitation Facilties website to locate an appropriate rehabilitation center.

Outside California?

Call your local humane center or animal rescue group and ask for a referral or search for a local center at one of the listings on the National Wildlife Rehabilitators Association website.

All marine mammal and sea turtle strandings/injuries can be reported to NOAA at 1-866-767-6114.  A list of regional rescue and rehabilitation contacts and centers can be found on the NOAA website.